A loose T shirt, track pants, sport shoes, maybe a skullcap, and you are all geared up for a good work out. Really? Because there is something you might be missing out on. These are the pre work- out supplements. Pre work out supplements can help you pump up your strength and endurance for an efficient work out. They provide your body with the much needed power boosting nutrients before you hit the gym to make your body perform at its best. There are generally four types of Pre work out supplements namely, strength and power boosters, energy boosters, stimulants and muscle boosters.
Strength and Power Boosters:
Eating a heavy diet before indulging in a strenuous physical activity is not recommended. So, you need some quick absorbing foods which kick up your energy and power levels within no time. The pre work out power boosting supplements can provide you with a gush of power to make you perform well during your work out. Generally, power boosting supplements contain:
- Betaine– a modified form of amino acid and has been found to pump up the energy levels by 25%.
- Beta-Alanine– is an amino acid known to promote muscle power.
- Creatine– replenishes your body’s ATP to keep you going for a long time.
You cannot exercise well with drooping levels of energy. Pre workout supplements with energy boosters are enriched with the following components.
- Tyrosine: This amino acid has a track record for increasing stamina and focus. It also helps the body to produce certain neurotransmitters such as adrenalin and dopamine.
- Taurine: Its helps the heart to pump more blood to your muscles and thus increase the endurance by about 50 %
- B Vitamins: These are key vitamins for energy production. You could tale Vitamin B supplements separately if it is not included in your pre workout supplements.
Generally, excess weight and a desire for a toned up body, ‘stimulate’ you to join the gym. However, other than these stimulants, there are some supplements that help you to pick up some more strength and endurance. Such types of supplements with pre work out stimulants contain:
- Caffeine: It is a well known psychoactive compound which improves your reflexes and keeps you activated.
- Green tea: A storehouse of antioxidants, this beverage provides overall health benefits.
- Choline: This compound helps to produce acetylcholine for more powerful muscle contractions for longer intervals of time. Acetylcholine helps to have a sharper mind with better focus.
Muscle Builders: If you are aspiring for building your body, you need a lot more than just shedding your extra weight. Supplements enriched with body building compounds help to increase your muscle mass leading to hypertrophy. These often contain:
- Branched amino acid supplements: Being an aspiring body builder, you need to update your knowledge about the various well known body building supplements too. To start with, you must know about branched amino acid supplements. These contain three essential amino acids- valine, isoleucine, leucine that are metabolized in the muscles and account for more than 30% of muscle protein.
- Glutamine: Although glutamine is one of the most abundant amino acids present in your body, but scientists believe that long stretch of intense work out can deplete its concentration. Hence, acquiring glutamine supplements can help to restore it in the body promoting muscle growth.
Other than all the above supplements you can even take brain boosting supplements for pre work out such as caffeine and choline. If you are wondering about the reason of consuming brain boosters during work outs, there is a simple explanation to give you. You cannot perform well during a workout without a strong muscle and mind connection. Exercise is a holistic approach to strengthen both body and mind. So, these supplements help you to focus well during your workout regime. You can also go for nuts such as almonds, walnuts, raisins for instant food for your brain.
Disadvantages that pre work out supplements may have:
- May increased Blood Pressure
- Induce insomnia and anxiety
- Athletes may test positive for doping due to certain compounds in the supplements.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Can cause gastrointestinal problems.
Hence, supplements for pre work out must be consumed judiciously and after seeking a medical advice. Green salads enriched with essential vitamins and minerals can make a good meal before an intense work out. Pre work out protein shakes are good options too. Also, add essential fatty acids such as omega 3 in your meals to reduce exercise induced muscle soreness. However, consistency is the key to success in work outs. So, stop looking for excuses to skip the gym if you don’t want all your efforts to go waste.